Most people cannot refuse milk or dairy products on keto diet. There is nothing to worry about, because a little milk, cheese, cottage cheese can be consumed without harm for your diet.
What do dairy products consist of:
Lactose is a carbohydrate that belongs to the disaccharide group. During digestion, it turns into simple sugar. Lactose is sometimes called milk sugar.
Casein is a complex protein that is formed from caseinogen (it’s formed when curd is made from milk). The total amount of casein is about 80% of the total protein in dairy products. This protein is digested much longer than whey.
Whey is the liquid that remains after processing the milk. This is a similar product in the manufacture of cheese and curd. Whey contains 20% protein from the total amount in all dairy products. Although whey is digested much faster than casein, it contains all the essential amino acids.
Fatty acids. There are several hundred types of fatty acids are present in milk and dairy products, among which there are: saturated (70% of the total amount of milk fats), monounsaturated (25% of the total amount of milk fats) and polyunsaturated (5% of the total amount of milk fats).
Milk consumption norms
Milk can be consumed on keto, but in limited quantities. 100 grams of milk contains 5 grams ofcarbohydrates. There will already be about 15 grams of carbohydrates in a glass. For such a diet it is quite a lot, so we advise you to limit yourself to 1 glass of milk per day. This amount will not be able to throw you out of the state of “ketosis”. Remember that milk with a high percentage of fat content is slightly less carbohydrate than the rest of the drink. Fat milk will be beneficial for your body during the keto diet.
How does milk help you lose some weight?
- The high level of linoleic acid (polyunsaturated fatty acid) contributes to the loss of body fat;
- Dairy products from goat and cow milk reduce the feeling of hunger, greatly saturating the body with nutrients;
- Dairy products reduce the effects of the stress hormone (cortisol). Many researchers note that women who regularly consumed dairy products during the diet achieved good results without strong emotional experiences.
How do milk and dairy products affect ketosis and insulin levels?
Dairy products are often criticized because their consumption leads to an increase in insulin levels, which can affect ketosis. This is normal, because milk is a protein food, but at the same time, it is very different from normal proteins and affects the adult’s body in a completely different way. Children, in this case, are more likely to experience increased insulin due to the fact that adults have completely different proteins that are less susceptible to lactose.
When should you not eat dairy products?
- Allergy to milk protein (lactose intolerance)
- Hormone-Dependent Breast Cancer
- Individual side effects
What dairy products are suitable for keto diet?
- Choose organic products from the milk of cows that grazed on pastures or ate freshly cut grass;
- Buy pasteurized products (safe for people who are treating cancer or have a weak immune system);
- Buy keto-friendly dairy products (low carbohydrate)
keto-friendly dairy products
- Brie and Camembert cheese;
- Cheddar Cheese;
- Gouda Cheese;
- Mozzarella Cheese;
- Blue cheese;
- Sour cream;
- Cream Cheese;
- Swiss cheese;
- Plain Greek Yogurt;
- Ricotta Cheese;
- Cottage cheese;
- Feta Chees;
- Paneer Cheese.