Many people, who are on a keto-diet, refuse fermented milk products for various reasons: allergies, lactose intolerance, personal dislike, the desire to eliminate excess elements from your diet. Despite the change in their preferences, a person can remain a lover of cheeses and yogurts. Today we talk about yogurt without milk. Coconut yogurt is a great alternative to plain yogurt. It contains a lot of nutrients, and it has a pleasant smell of coconut.
Coconut yogurt is rarely sold in stores, and you have to be prepared to cook it yourself. Despite this, it has many uses in cooking. Therefore, you should not worry about the fact that the cooked product will deteriorate or you will have to eat it just like that. Many people who are on a keto diet often mix coconut yogurt with several ingredients or make a sauce for it: coconut granola, coconut yogurt with berries, sauce for meat, salad or dolma, etc.
Interesting facts about cooking coconut yogurt:
• To make your chilled coconut yogurt thick, you need to add a little gelatin to it. You need to be careful when adding it. Because a large amount of gelatin will turn your yogurt into jelly. Thick yogurt will be an excellent dressing for your salad;
• Coconut yogurt can be cooked using any kitchen appliances. Important rule: don’t raise the temperature of yogurt above 44 ° C. Because at a higher temperature all beneficial bacteria will die. Then you have to forget about the probiotic breakfast. Remember that many kitchen appliances can heat up more than the temperature indicated by the manufacturer in the instruction manual.
How to cook coconut yogurt?
• 1 liter of coconut milk;
• 100 ml of filtered boiled water;
• 7 grams of gelatin;
• 1 bag of dairy-free yeast (or probiotic in capsules)
1. Add gelatin to cold boiled water. Stir the mixture and heat it until all the gelatin is dissolved;
2. Heat coconut milk in a saucepan to 82 ° C. Add the dissolved gelatin. Mix the mixture and let cool at 42-44 ° C;
3. Pour 200 ml of milk into a separate bowl. Pour starter or probiotic into it. Thoroughly mix the mixture so that no lumps remain in it.
4. Mix sourdough milk with the rest of the milk. Stir the mixture;
5. Ferment the mixture for 24 hours at a temperature not higher than 42-44 ° C. It is better to do this in a yogurt maker (during the fermentation process, the milk will separate, this is normal);
6. After 24 hours, remove the mixture and mix thoroughly. Put the yogurt in the fridge for another 12 hours so that it thickens.
Coconut Yoghurt (quick recipe)
Not everyone has the power to spend so much time preparing yogurt. For you, we offer an alternative quick recipe. This coconut yogurt is as tasty as the previous recipe.
• 200 ml of pure water;
• 3 gr agar-agar;
•A pinch of salt;
• 18 ml of lemon juice;
• 380 ml of coconut milk.
1. Agar-agar must be poured into cold water and stirred. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.Boil the dissolved agar-agar for about 30-60 seconds until it is completely dissolved;
2. Add coconut milk, salt and lemon juice to the mixture. Stir the mixture thoroughly;
3. Leave the mixture to freeze. To speed up the process, you can remove the future yogurt in the refrigerator;
4. Beat the jelly in a blender until it seems as a yogurt. Firstly mass will have a granular structure, but then smooth out. If you are unable to beat the mixture to a state of yogurt, then add 1 tablespoon of cold water and continue to beat;
It turns out not quite real yogurt, but the texture and taste are very similar. In this case, speed was important to us? Isn’t it? 😉 This dessert is very refreshing and will be a nice addition to your meal. Also, your children can enjoy coconut yogurt. Especially if you add some ripe strawberries or blueberries to it.
Before serving, coconut yogurt should be stirred with a spoon. During storage, condensation may form from water, but this is normal. Exactly the same condensate is produced in cow milk yoghurt. The shelf life of such yogurt is 2-3 days.